Dutch judges have convicted three men of murder for their role in the 2014 shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 over Ukraine, and sentenced them to life in prison.
A fourth man was acquitted.
MH17 was a passenger flight that was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 passengers and crew including 38 Australians.
“Only the most severe punishment is fitting to retaliate for what the suspects have done, which has caused so much suffering to so many victims and so many surviving relatives,” Presiding Judge Hendrik Steenhuis said on Thursday, reading a summary of the ruling.
Families of victims stood weeping and wiping away tears in the courtroom as Judge Steenhuis read the verdict.
Michael’s brother, Bryan, from Singleton in New South Wales, gave a victim impact statement that was read out to the court, reported The Guardian.
“To this day I feel emptiness, my brother and I did everything together,” Bryan Clancy’s statement read.
Ria van der Steen, a Dutch woman who lost her father and stepmother in the crash, said “We did it!” as she came out of the courtroom.
The three men convicted were former Russian intelligence agents Igor Girkin and Sergey Dubinskiy, and Leonid Kharchenko, a Ukrainian separatist leader.
A fourth, Russian Oleg Pulatov, was acquitted on all charges.
At the time, the area was the scene of fighting between pro-Russian separatists and Ukrainian forces, the precursor of this year’s conflict.
Russia invaded Ukraine in February and claims to have annexed the Donetsk province where the plane’s wreckage and victims’ remains were once scattered across cornfields.
Judge Steenhuis said the men did not enjoy any immunity from prosecution as they were not members of the Russian armed services.
“There is no reasonable doubt” that MH17 was shot down by a BUK missile system, he said.
Victims’ representatives said the ruling is an important milestone, though the suspects remain fugitives.
They are all believed to be in Russia, which will not extradite them.
Moscow denies any involvement or responsibility for MH17’s downing and in 2014 it also denied any presence in Ukraine.
In a briefing in Moscow on Thursday, Deputy Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ivan Nechaev told reporters the government would examine the court’s findings.
“We will study this decision because in all these issues, every nuance matters,” he said.
Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said the judgement sent a strong message that all Russian war criminals should be brought to justice.
“It can be said that this is the strongest signal to the whole world, including Russia itself, that every war crime committed by the Russians will be documented, investigated and brought to a conclusion. No matter how much time it takes,” Mr Podolyak told Reuters.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky praised the ‘important’ decision on Twitter.
The four men were charged with shooting down an airplane and with murder in a trial that was held under Dutch law.
Phone call intercepts that formed a key part of the evidence against the men suggested they believed they were targeting a Ukrainian fighter jet.
Of the suspects, only Pulatov had pleaded not guilty via lawyers he hired to represent him. The others were tried in absentia and none attended the trial.
Victims of MH17, which had been en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, came from 10 different countries. More than half were Dutch.
The investigation was led by the Netherlands, with participation from Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia and Belgium.
The post MH17: Three guilty, court finds Russia-made missile downed plane appeared first on The New Daily.