Arabic version: فقدان ستة سائقين أوغنديين بعد الاستيلاء على شاحنات في بور
According to Allafrica, six Ugandan truck drivers are missing after armed men reportedly abducted them and seized six trucks in Bor Town, Jonglei State, South Sudan.
The drivers were reportedly taken between Tuesday and Wednesday morning at Mina Fish Port and the Lew-dier docking site, two White Nile landing sites that are major fish-trading points. Fish is exported from the area to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo and other East African countries.
Isaac Katabazi, board chairperson of the Alliance for Heavy Trucks Federation, told Uganda Radio Network that the vehicles were being used to transport fish. He said reports from drivers stranded in Bor indicated that the armed men were suspected to be soldiers of the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces. The trucks were allegedly seized to transport local militias fighting rebels in Jonglei State. Efforts to obtain comment from SSPDF spokesperson Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang were unsuccessful by press time.
Katabazi said two other Ugandan drivers, identified only as Rasta and Ashraf, were injured after they were allegedly beaten while resisting attempts to take their trucks. They were receiving treatment in Bor, while other drivers had gone into hiding. A driver who requested anonymity said he escaped on foot after being assaulted and having his truck taken.
Katabazi said he had contacted Uganda’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and called for urgent diplomatic intervention to free the missing drivers and recover the trucks. He warned that the incident could affect Uganda-South Sudan trade and said drivers could stop work if authorities fail to act. Ugandan truck drivers have previously protested at Elegu over insecurity, harassment, alleged extortion and illegal roadblocks in South Sudan.




















