Csanyi Withdraws Support for FIFA President Infantino
Csanyi Withdraws Support for FIFA President Infantino

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: تشاني يسحب دعمه لرئيس الفيفا إنفانتينو

According to ABC News, FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi has withdrawn his support for president Gianni Infantino following the departure of chief operating officer Kevin Lamour. Csanyi, a member of the FIFA Council, called Lamour’s dismissal “the final straw” in a letter seen by Reuters.

FIFA said on Tuesday, AEST, that Lamour had left the organisation. His exit came weeks after he publicly criticised Infantino’s plan to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments. Lamour had said staff had been “deceived” over the proposal, which he described as the project of one person.

In his letter, Csanyi said Lamour had carried out his duties to a high professional and ethical standard. He said the dismissal, which he linked to criticism of an initiative Infantino later acknowledged had been misguided, pointed to shortcomings in professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership. FIFA did not respond to a request for comment.

Montenegro has also withdrawn its earlier support for Infantino’s candidacy. Dejan Savicevic, president of Montenegro’s football association and a FIFA Council member since 2017, said recent developments showed a serious lack of communication and transparency. Israel has also withdrawn its support, according to The Guardian, while Wales earlier became the first national federation formally to do so.

Infantino is seeking a fourth term through to 2031 at elections in March. UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, AFC president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa and CONCACAF president Vittorio Montagliani are among FIFA vice-presidents who have criticised his conduct. CAF and CONMEBOL currently support Infantino.

About the Author

More
articles