Hundreds Join Brookfield Walk Against Violence
Hundreds Join Brookfield Walk Against Violence

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: مئات يشاركون في مسيرة ببروكفيلد ضد العنف

According to ABC News, hundreds of people walked through Brookfield in Brisbane’s west on Sunday in a show of strength and solidarity after the alleged sexual assault of a 23-year-old woman last week. The crowd gathered in the suburb and walked along Rafting Ground Road, an area described as a popular walking spot.

Police allege 32-year-old Jacob Dave Henry Hauraki was driving to work on Thursday morning when he approached the woman from behind and dragged her into nearby bushes. He has been charged with six counts of rape, as well as stalking, assault with intent to commit rape, assault occasioning bodily harm and deprivation of liberty. Mr Hauraki remains in custody and is expected to reappear in court on September 18.

Event organiser Emily Hall said the walk was intended to highlight Brookfield’s community spirit and to “put a line in the sand” against violence. She said violence was an issue for everyone and urged people to call out inappropriate behaviour and support one another when incidents occur.

Local state MP Christian Rowan said it was encouraging to see residents come together, saying the community was united. Brookfield resident Debbie Moylan, who said she regularly walks in the area with her three daughters, said the turnout showed people were thinking about events in the world and gave her hope that change was possible.

About the Author

More
articles