Court Hears Tree Removal Figure Is Uncertain
Court Hears Tree Removal Figure Is Uncertain

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: المحكمة تسمع أن عدد الأشجار المزمع إزالتها غير محسوم

According to ABC News, South Australian government lawyers told the Federal Court that the exact number of trees to be removed for the North Adelaide Golf Course redevelopment is not certain, despite Premier Peter Malinauskas repeating a figure of 585.

The case, brought by two private citizens, challenges the redevelopment on the basis that it breaches protections for the national heritage-listed parklands. Both sides agree that 400 trees have already been cut down. Crown lawyer Alison Doecke KC said the design process was continuing and plans had not been finalised, making it impossible to identify the species of trees yet to be removed.

A government spokesperson said the court had heard earlier in the week that 585 trees would be removed at most. Mr Malinauskas said the number had been publicly released before the state election.

The project was announced in connection with plans to bring LIV Golf to the city. The premier said there was a possibility the tournament might not return to Adelaide next year, while adding that the course could host the Australian Men’s and Women’s Open. He said there was an option to hold the Australian Women’s Open at North Adelaide in early 2028.

Justice Natalie Charlesworth also questioned LIV Golf’s involvement in the project design and whether parklands were being used commercially. Ms Doecke said the golf course would remain publicly accessible and would not require membership. The trial is expected to continue until Friday, while protesters have presented a petition against the redevelopment with more than 43,000 signatures.

About the Author

More
articles