David Elliott Flags Legal Action After ICAC Evidence
David Elliott Flags Legal Action After ICAC Evidence

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: ديفيد إليوت يلوّح بإجراءات قانونية بعد إفادته أمام آيكاك

According to ABC News, former NSW police minister David Elliott said he would speak to his lawyer about legal action over what he described as “slanderous things” said about him after giving evidence to the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption on Friday. He did not name specific people, but said those he believed “need to be pursued” could face action.

ICAC is examining whether donations linked to fugitive property developer Jean Nassif were exchanged for political favours, including alleged attempts to damage Mr Elliott’s career. Mr Elliott said the fight against corruption in the NSW parliament was not over and claimed there were people in the Liberal shadow ministry who “gave evidence to criminals”.

The inquiry had previously heard allegations involving senior Liberal MPs Chris Rath and Damien Tudehope. Mr Rath allegedly helped lobbyist Jeremy Greenwood stay informed about efforts to serve him with a summons, while Mr Tudehope was accused of passing a confidential committee report to Mr Greenwood. Mr Tudehope has not been accused of wrongdoing, and Mr Greenwood and other persons of interest have not been charged with crimes.

Mr Elliott told ICAC he believed Mr Nassif influenced his removal as police minister in a 2021 cabinet reshuffle. He linked that belief to Mr Nassif’s 2019 arrest for cocaine possession at The Star casino, saying the developer may have blamed him for police being there.

He also said he believed Mr Nassif was behind a campaign of negative media stories after Mr Elliott responded to community concerns about one of the developer’s projects. Mr Elliott said Mr Nassif confronted him twice and left a phone message threatening to “get” him. He said private investigators followed him and his wife, calling surveillance photographs of her “very creepy”.

About the Author

More
articles