Arabic version: رينشو يحل محل ويذرالد في الاختبار الثاني أمام بنغلادش
According to ABC News, Australia captain Pat Cummins has confirmed Matt Renshaw will open the batting in the second Test against Bangladesh in Mackay, replacing Jake Weatherald in the only change to the side beaten in Darwin.
Renshaw, 30, will play his first Test in three years. Cummins said Weatherald had been “awesome around the group” but had not made the runs Australia wanted over six Test matches. Renshaw averaged 49.9 in Sheffield Shield cricket last summer and scored three centuries.
Australia have opted against fielding four specialist fast bowlers despite expectations that the Great Barrier Reef Arena pitch will assist pace bowling. Nathan Lyon, who took 1-102 in Bangladesh’s first innings during Australia’s nine-wicket loss in Darwin, will play his 143rd Test.
Pitch curator Peter Kazakoff said the wicket was intended to offer “a lot of pace” and noted its clay was similar to that used at the Gabba. He also said spinners could influence the match later, although cooler conditions could mean moisture leaves the surface more slowly.
Scott Boland, who did not play in Darwin, will wait until the October tour of South Africa for his next Test. The Australia XI is Matthew Renshaw, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Beau Webster, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon and Josh Hazlewood. The second Test begins on Saturday.




















