Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s Carroll case bid
Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s Carroll case bid

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: المحكمة العليا ترفض مجدداً طلب ترامب في قضية كارول

According to BBC News, the US Supreme Court has for a second time declined President Donald Trump’s bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict finding him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carroll.

The court had already denied an earlier attempt by Trump to have the civil case reviewed in June. Its latest decision appeared on an order list on Monday and gave no explanation for the justices’ refusal to rehear the case. Legal experts said the request to reconsider the June rejection was an unusual long-shot manoeuvre.

Trump has repeatedly denied wrongdoing. He argued that the judge in the civil trial improperly allowed evidence that affected the jury’s view of him. In July, he paid Carroll more than $5m (£3.6m) in damages over her claim that Trump sexually assaulted her in the 1990s, before calling the incident a hoax on social media.

Carroll thanked her legal team and supporters after the ruling. Her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said the jury’s verdict that Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed Carroll “is now final and cannot be challenged in any court”.

Carroll, a former magazine columnist now aged 82, sued Trump over an alleged attack in a Manhattan department store dressing room in the mid-1990s. The defamation claim related to a 2022 Truth Social post in which Trump denied her allegations and said she was “not my type”. Trump has not commented on the latest decision. A separate appeal over an $83.3m federal civil defamation verdict for Carroll remains before the Supreme Court.

About the Author

More
articles