Arabic version: الحكومة الفيدرالية تدعم برنامج إعادة شراء الأسلحة في إقليم العاصمة الأسترالية
According to ABC News, the federal and ACT governments have agreed on funding for a gun buyback scheme in the territory, part of a national push to strengthen Australia’s gun laws.
The Commonwealth will cover 75 per cent of buyback and associated administrative costs, as well as all firearm destruction costs. The ACT government will fund the remaining costs. Details of the scheme’s start date and compensation for surrendered firearms are expected in coming days.
The ACT scheme will be similar to the one announced in NSW, which is due to begin on November 2. The agreement follows a National Cabinet commitment to eradicate antisemitism and strengthen gun laws after the Bondi Beach terrorist attack in December last year.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said national gun reform was important to help prevent an antisemitic terrorist attack like the one at Bondi from happening again. ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said reducing high-risk firearms in circulation was a practical community-safety measure, while acknowledging most licensed owners were responsible and law-abiding.
There are about 23,000 firearms and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders in the ACT. About 14 per cent of licence holders are expected to be affected by a proposed firearms cap. A bill before the ACT Legislative Assembly would generally limit licensed holders to five guns, with exemptions of up to 10 for occupational and sporting purposes.




















