Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Renews Security Questions
Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Renews Security Questions

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: عودة هاري وميغان إلى المملكة المتحدة تجدد التساؤلات الأمنية

According to BBC News, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to return to the UK this month, relocating from the US to a private, non-royal residence outside London. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are due to start school in September.

The move is set to prompt a fresh decision on the couple’s protection arrangements. Their publicly funded security was downgraded after they stopped being working royals in 2020 and moved to the US, where they have paid for private protection. The Royal and VIP Executive Committee, known as Ravec and overseen by the Home Office, had previously assessed Prince Harry’s security needs case by case because he was expected to be an infrequent visitor.

The Home Office said the UK’s protective security system was rigorous and proportionate, while maintaining its longstanding policy not to give details that could compromise arrangements or affect individuals’ security. Earlier on Thursday, Prime Minister Andy Burnham called the couple’s security a “private matter”, saying he did not decide security arrangements for the Royal Family.

Prince Harry lost a legal challenge last year over the downgraded security arrangements for him and his family during UK visits. There is no suggestion that Harry and Meghan will return as full-time working royals, and other non-working royals receive limited security. Any reassessment will take account of their new permanent circumstances, their high public profile, links to the King and Prince Harry’s military service in Afghanistan.

A source close to the couple said the “stars had aligned” to make the move work for their family. King Charles was told about the move on Sunday and is said to be looking forward to seeing them more often. The family visited him at Highgrove in July, his first in-person meeting with his grandchildren in more than four years. The couple will retain their California home, while Prince Harry’s Invictus Games are due to take place in Birmingham next year.

About the Author

More
articles