Arabic version: تأجيل إطلاق عبّارات جزيرة كانغارو إلى نوفمبر
According to ABC News, SeaLink has again delayed the start of Kangaroo Island’s new ferry service, revising its expected commencement to November. The latest setback follows damage to electrical components on the second vessel, Ruwi, during final testing in Indonesia, where the ferry was built.
SeaLink acting chief operating officer Phil Boyle said a temporary pipe failed during a fire deluge test, discharging water onto electrical components. The affected parts have been replaced, but the incident delayed Ruwi’s arrival in South Australia by about three weeks. The vessel is now expected to reach Port Adelaide in late September.
The new ferries had initially been expected to begin operating early last year. SeaLink later moved the planned start to June 1, then said the service would commence on or before September 23. The first vessel, Wanggami, reached Port Adelaide in April and was officially christened on July 30.
Kangaroo Island Mayor Michael Pengilly said residents were “desperately cranky” over repeated changes and uncertainty, particularly around ferry capacity and livestock movement during a busy period. Transport Minister Joe Szakacs said he was concerned and angry, and criticised SeaLink’s communication. SeaLink has postponed planned terminal shutdown works from September 1 to 4, saying maintaining the existing ferry service was the responsible option.





















