Miscommunication magnified Lily Hooper search tragedy
Miscommunication magnified Lily Hooper search tragedy

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: سوء التواصل فاقم مأساة البحث عن ليلي هوبر

According to ABC News, a communication error during the search for missing bushwalker Lily Hooper led NSW Premier Chris Minns to announce in parliament that she had been found alive before he was told she had died.

Ms Hooper, 18, left her home south-west of Sydney on the morning of Wednesday, August 12, to hike in Nattai National Park. Her car was found near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail, triggering a multi-agency search involving nearly 1,000 people, police said. Her body was located in bushland after an eight-day search.

Shortly before midday, during a budget estimates hearing, Mr Minns received a note and, after being assured the information was credible, told the committee: “Lily Hooper has been found alive.” About 25 minutes later, after receiving further advice, he apologised and said the earlier information was wrong and that Ms Hooper had been found deceased.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Joseph Cassar said search teams faced communication difficulties using handheld radios. An SES volunteer made the initial discovery and followed protocol by reporting it up the chain, but there was a delay in communicating that Ms Hooper had died. In an intervening period of eight to 10 minutes, her family, who were in close contact with police, were led to believe she was alive.

Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon apologised “unreservedly” to Ms Hooper’s family and said the error was born from elation that she had been found. He said the incorrect report moved through police commands to the offices of Mr Minns and Police Minister Yasmin Catley. Police have committed to review and improve ground communications, particularly when working with the SES.

About the Author

More
articles