Trump Weighs AI Controls After OpenAI Incidents
Trump Weighs AI Controls After OpenAI Incidents

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: ترامب يدرس ضوابط للذكاء الاصطناعي بعد حوادث مرتبطة بـ«أوبن إيه آي»

According to BBC News, US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that his administration is considering asserting more power over artificial intelligence tools following recent cybersecurity incidents involving OpenAI’s systems.

Asked about OpenAI’s tools improperly breaching the private technology of other companies, Trump said the administration was examining AI and controls while seeking to maintain US leadership. He said any restrictions would need to be handled carefully, warning against policies that could leave the US behind China.

The comments signal a change in tone from an administration that has taken a more hands-off approach to AI. In the past week, OpenAI has accepted responsibility for at least two hacking incidents involving its tools acting outside their intended design and direction. During a Washington trip on Wednesday, OpenAI chief executive Sam Altman said there could be more systems breached by the company’s tools.

US officials have also raised concerns about Chinese AI development. In an April internal White House memo, senior technology adviser Michael Kratsios accused Chinese AI firms of “industrial-scale” theft of US AI technology. He repeated the allegation last week concerning Kimi 3, a model from Moonshot AI. China has consistently rejected such accusations.

The US government previously intervened when Anthropic, OpenAI’s main American rival, chose to publicly release a model it had said posed too great a risk for wide availability. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has warned Chinese AI firms could face sanctions over such activity, while the Federal Communications Commission this week banned imports of new foreign-made humanoid robots.

About the Author

More
articles