Federal Court hears North Adelaide golf course challenge
Federal Court hears North Adelaide golf course challenge

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: المحكمة الفيدرالية تنظر في الطعن بمشروع ملعب غولف نورث أديلايد

According to ABC News, a Federal Court trial has begun over the South Australian government’s redevelopment of the North Adelaide golf course. Public servant Edwin Kemp Attrill and Kaurna Arabana woman Janette Milera are challenging the project, arguing it breaches federal conservation laws.

The government announced the redevelopment and expansion as part of its bid to move the LIV Golf tournament into the city. It said 585 trees would be removed and replaced with new plantings. Earlier this year, the state government passed laws taking control of that part of the parklands from Adelaide City Council to enable the redevelopment.

In an opening address, lawyer Arturo Dal Cin said the Adelaide parklands received national heritage listing in 2008. He told the court that more than 400 trees had already been cut down at the golf course, which he said represented 15 per cent of the trees identified for the project’s first stage. He said the trial would also hear evidence about effects on Aboriginal cultural heritage and local flying fox populations.

Mr Kemp Attrill said the case was “very nerve-wracking” and described the action as an uphill battle. Ms Milera said it concerned “respecting cultural tradition and truth telling,” adding that the parklands belonged to the people and needed protection. Government lawyers had warned Mr Kemp Attrill before the case that he could be liable for $4 million in costs if he lost.

Premier Peter Malinauskas said his government had acted lawfully and that relevant agencies had sought to comply with requirements. The trial is expected to run for five days, with government lawyers due to present their response on Wednesday.

About the Author

More
articles