Mundi Mundi opens gates after rain disrupts camping
Mundi Mundi opens gates after rain disrupts camping

Date

Spread the love

Arabic version: موندي موندي يفتح البوابات بعد أن عطّل المطر التخييم

According to ABC News, organisers of the Mundi Mundi Bash near Broken Hill opened the festival gates for free entry on its final day after improved weather followed heavy rainfall that had restricted access to the campsite. The outback music festival continued through the disruption, though thousands of ticket holders had been unable to enter when parts of the camping area became unusable.

Founder and organiser Greg Donovan said people who had been turned away and were still in Broken Hill could enter on the final day. He told ABC Weekend Breakfast that the sun had returned for a second day. Organisers had previously restricted campsite entry after vehicles became bogged during arrivals on Monday night.

Mr Donovan said about 75 millimetres of rain fell at the site across 11 days, an amount he said was equivalent to one-third of Broken Hill’s annual rainfall. He said 25 to 30 per cent of the campsite became unusable, leaving no capacity for another 2,000 people expected the following day.

About 10,000 ticket holders were still able to attend, compared with about 15,000 originally ticketed to enter. Mr Donovan said the full program had been fulfilled, including performances from Jessica Mauboy, Troy Cassar Daly and the Teskey Brothers. The final-day line-up was set to include The Whitlams, Baby Animals, John Butler and Jon Stevens.

About the Author

More
articles